[Athen] WCAG 2.1 feedback please

EA Draffan ead at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 10:24:32 PST 2017

Dear All

The new draft of WCAG - WCAG 2.1<https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/WD-WCAG21-20170228/> has been published. We have all worked really hard to get some accommodation for people living with learning and cognitive disabilities.

The Accessibility Guidelines Working Group and the task force for learning and cognitive disabilities particularly seeks feedback. The task force would specifically like feedback on the following:

* How important are the proposed Success Criteria for users? Note that many of our success criteria are likely to get removed in the next version. (You might notice red boxes next to them reading). So feedback that they are useful and shy, is as important as any other feedback.

* Do they fully address current user needs for web content accessibility?

* What do you think needs to be changed to added to include more people? How completely does the set of new and proposed Success Criteria address current user needs.

* Do you know of methods that help to achieve these success criteria? For the criteria to apply to all website, the solutions need to be reasonable to apply to all websites.

* Some of our recommendations<https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=%20label%3ACOGA> are not in the new draft. Which ones do you think are most important to put in the next draft?

The new success criteria proposed by the task force for cognitive and learning disabilities are:

* Support Personalization (minimum)<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#support-personalization-minimum>

* Plain Language (Minimum)<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#plain-language-minimum>

* Manageable Blocks<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#manageable-blocks>

* Extra Symbols<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#extra-symbols>

* Familiar Design (Minimum)<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#familiar-design-minimum>

* Change of Content<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#change-of-content>

* Minimize user errors<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#minimize-user-errors>

* Undo<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#undo>

* Provide Support<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#provide-support>

* Interruptions (minimum)<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#interruptions-minimum>

To comment on each one you can, file an issue in the W3C WCAG 2.1 GitHub repository<https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/new> or you can send email to public-agwg-comments at w3.org (comment archive<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-agwg-comments/>). Comments are requested by 31 March 2017. In-progress updates to the document may be viewed in the publicly visible editors' draft<https://w3c.github.io/wcag21/guidelines/>.

Feel free to look at our COGA-FAQ<https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/COGA-FAQ> or Wiki<https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/> or email our facilitator<mailto:lisa.seeman at zoho.com> with any questions.

Thanks so much for all your help

Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force <https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/> (COGA)