[Athen] can libraries get electronic copies of physical books from publishers for swd?

Gaeir Dietrich gdietrich at htctu.net
Mon Mar 13 14:41:45 PDT 2017

Ø What are the names of (or numbers of or links to) laws or regulations
that require publishers to provide electronic versions to students?

It is state laws that require publishers to provide electronic files to
students who have purchased books. Although fewer than half the states have
such laws, the publishers have chosen to provide electronic text to students
with disabilities, regardless of which state the student is in. Below is a
list of the first few states who adopted laws, but there are at least twice
that many now:

l California – AB 422 (1999)

l Arkansas – SB 537 (2001)

l Kentucky – SB 85 (2003)

l New Mexico – SB 305 (2003)

l Nevada – SB 62 (2003)

l New York – Chapter 219 (2003) (Implementation Guidelines (July 2004, rev
Nov 30, 2004)

l Washington – SSB 6501 (2004)

Gaeir (rhymes with "fire") Dietrich
HTCTU Director