[Athen] Heading 1 best practice: document vs web

Jennifer Sutton jsuttondc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 19:04:46 PDT 2017

I suppose I would go with what Gaeir said. I should *think* there'd be
less need for multiple h1s in Word and PDFs, but that's based on my
experience. Your mileage may vary.

I would *imagine* multiple h1s might not be ideal from a visual
standpoint, whether on web or in documents, but I suppose that'd depend
on your documentation settings/ability to control.

When I see multiple h1s on a web page, especially, I pretty much figure
that whoever's built it doesn't actually know anything about using
headings to convey structure/meaning, so my sense of how they're using
headings is called into question. Or I might know enough to figure out
that the system they're using didn't give them control. I'm less
suspicious of multiples of other heading levels, beyond 1. And when I
write a Word document, I never use more than one heading. But this could
all just be one person's experience.

What I would say is that, in my experience (both my lived experience and
my experience of working with developers and content creators),
consistency is really helpful within a site or document for *everyone*.

What I was trying to get at was that you seem clear on the web, and I
don't think it's as cut and dry as I would expect Word and PDFs to be.,
given that the issue's been being debated for years.

My point is that everyone wants a one-size-fits-all solution, and it
doesn't really work like that in my experience of the real world, i.e.
across websites, LMSs, CMSs on various platforms, and documents. Now, if
your office has the power to enforce something campus-wide . . . but
that's not been feasible/realistic in my world.
It all depends on which "rigidity" battles you choose to/are able to fight.

In my experience, accessibility is as much about philosophy as it is
about checkpoints/*current*/feasible best practices. If somebody's going
to create wide-reaching guidance, then I think it helps to know the
risks and realities of the debates.

I am sorry that my detailed response may have confused you; I'll
remember that people on this list tend to prefer less minutia than I'm
inclined to give. It's not a problem; I just need to curb my tendencies
to share history/speak/raise issues from that standpoint.

Good luck.
Jennifer