[Athen] Quick question: Microsoft Office Accessibility

Varnado, Jason varnado at gonzaga.edu
Thu Oct 12 10:22:45 PDT 2017

Good morning,
We are having a bit of a discussion about a point brought up about accessibility in Office. I have been told that not adding a meaningful title in the properties of a document makes that document inaccessible. I don't mean naming the file meaningfully or adding an appropriate heading structure, of course you should do this. I mean going to "file" - "info" - then clicking the "add a title" field. By not doing this, is a document actually inaccessible? If this does actually ruin the accessibility of a document, any thoughts on why it doesn't come up in the accessibility checker?

Either I am not searching right, or there just isn't a lot of information out there on this (probably the former). Your expertise is much appreciated.
Thank you!

JASON VARNADO
Associate Director, Disability Access
Center for Student Academic Success