[Athen] Guide to Writing Alt Text

Howard Kramer hkramer at ahead.org
Mon Apr 2 11:36:59 PDT 2018

Deb,

WAI has a nice tutorial with example code snippets on creating alt text for
images and they review the different types of images - decorative,
functional, complex, etc., and the recommended approach for each.
https://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/images/

Cheers,
Howard

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 7:24 AM, Castiglione, Deb A <
deb.castiglione at cengage.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone!

> I’ve been off the list for a bit, moving and changing jobs. My employer

> has changed, but not my basic role – striving for universally designed and

> accessible learning experiences in higher ed.

> I’d love to work with individuals on this list, so that we can fulfill

> learners’ needs and eliminate potential barriers. I hope to develop some

> long-term partnerships.

> I don’t want to tie up the listserv, so please email me off list with

> thoughts and information that you feel would help to serve your learners

> better and create more universally designed and accessible learning

> experiences.

> Speaking of… does anyone have a good guide/guidelines to writing alt text

> for higher education that they would be willing to share?

> Thanks much.

> Deb

> What is “essential for some” is almost always “good for all” (Meyer, Rose,

> and Gordon, 2014).

> Deb Castiglione, EdD, ATP

> Director, Universal Design & Accessible Technologies

> Learning Center of Excellence

> Cengage

> 5191 Natorp Boulevard, Mason, OH 45040

> 513-229-1654 <(513)%20229-1654> / 513-309-6262 <(513)%20309-6262>

> deb.castiglione at cengage.com

Howard Kramer
Conference Coordinator
Accessing Higher Ground
303-492-8672
cell: 720-351-8668

Join us for the *Accessing Higher Ground Conference
<http://accessinghigherground.org/>* in Denver, Colorado, Nov 12-16, 2018.
Request for proposals will be announced mid-March.

Complete program information and registration is open for our full line-up
of webinars, *AHEADtoYOU!
<http://ahead.org/learn/virtual-learning/webinars>* And the *Technology
Access Series <http://ahead.org/learn/virtual-learning/at_webinars_15_16>*.
Site capacities for all webinar events is limited; please register at your
earliest convenience for the largest selection.

Not yet a member of AHEAD? *We welcome you to join AHEAD now.
<http://ahead.org/join/become-a-member>*