[Athen] Pearson cont.

chagnon at pubcom.com chagnon at pubcom.com
Tue Apr 17 09:42:44 PDT 2018

I've heard that Pearson has ramped up its staff for alternative book
formats.

That's great news for us. Hopefully, they'll get up to speed quickly and
shorten the lag time.

If they're using Adobe InDesign for the print versions of their textbooks,
it's just a matter of minutes to export out a basic accessible PDF from the
same file that is used for the printed textbook, and an accessible EPUB is
about an hour more to convert the file.

However, that does require that the designers learn how to make one central
layout that can be exported to these accessible formats quickly. It's not
the ordinary InDesign training, that's for sure! And not the ordinary
graphic designer, either <grin>

FYI, I'm hoping to offer my 1-day crash workshop in accessible InDesign
layouts at AHG in November (the proposal is in). I'm presenting it at other
conferences around the country throughout the year.

-Bevi

- - -

Bevi Chagnon, founder/CEO | <mailto:Bevi at PubCom.com> Bevi at PubCom.com

- - -

PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing

consulting . training . development . design . sec. 508 services

Upcoming classes at www.PubCom.com/classes

- - -