[Athen] A & P 3D/Tactile materials

Tamara Mariotti tmariotti at mvcc.edu
Mon Aug 13 10:09:07 PDT 2018

Hello Athen's list,
I am working with a student who is completely blind and is taking A&P on our campus this fall semester. I am working with the professors to locate models of tissues, or create tactile soft tissue models. I have been exploring using 3D printers. However, with 3D we need designed files that will work with a 3D printer.
1. Does anyone have files that they are willing to share for 3d images for a 3D printer for A&P? I don't want to re-invent the wheel!

2. Do you have any vendor contacts to purchase plates or models of the different tissues types that are tactile. The lab professor mentioned this: "The students learn that there are 4 main tissue types: epithelial, connective, muscle and nervous tissue. They then learn the different types of each of these tissues, like stratified squamous epithelium, simple squamous epithelium, etc. There are 8 different connective tissues-cartilage, adipose, reticular, etc. A big part of learning these is looking at the pictures and learning the description of each.

3. I already purchased this through American Printing house for the blind: https://shop.aph.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_Basic%20Tactile%20Anatomy%20Atlas_1-08845-00P_10001_11051

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Tamara Mariotti
Coordinator of the Office of Accessibility Resources (OAR)
Co-Chair NYSED Advisory Council for SWD in Post-Secondary Education

Mohawk Valley Community College
Payne Hall 104H
1101 Sherman Drive
Utica, NY 13502

Voice 315-731-5702
Fax 315-731-5868
https://www.mvcc.edu/accessibility-resources
[mvcc logo]

Proud member of:
[NYSDSC 2016 Logo for email sig]

"Disability is not a 'brave struggle' or 'courage in the face of adversity'. Disability is an art. It's an ingenious way to live." Neil Marcus