[Athen] Windows 10 Usability Feedback: We want to hear from you
hadir at uw.edu
Sat Jan 6 07:26:47 PST 2018
Forwarding in behalf of my student Alex:
In our upcoming accessibility call with Microsoft next Wednesday, a few folks from the Windows team will be joining us to gather feedback. We were hoping to use this meeting as an opportunity to bring to light and discuss issues with Windows 10.
We want to collect from everyone additional usability/accessibility issues regarding Windows 10. If there are any issues you have experienced, please let us know by replying to this email in the following format:
[Title of issue] - [Description of issue] + [Proposed solution if applicable]
Below is a collection of feedback we have already logged from our colleagues in the past few months. If you have feedback about the Windows 10 operating system that you don't see below, please let us know by replying!
* Wifi flyout menu difficult to use with screen reader - Due to confusing focus management and inadequate audio feedback, it can be difficult connecting to some wifi networks while using JAWS. This is more-so the case with wifi networks that display a warning message (e.g. "Continue connecting? If you expect to find eduroam in this location...."). Video demo of issue: Link to Dropbox Video<https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xafvs3tanb8ieo/windows_10_wifi_connect_issue.mp4?dl=0> -Hadi and Team
* Windows settings overwritten after update - "Settings are continuously overwritten every time there's an update which can take up to a half-hour. Mouse driver for my touchpad works like crap with the newest driver version. I roll it back to a previous version which works better and then the Windows update reverses this at the next update and I have to start all over again." -H
* Windows Update unexpected behavior - Several of our colleagues had feedback regarding the update experience
* "I can no longer schedule updates at my convenience even with workarounds, and I will walk away from my laptop for a few hours and come back and find it either updating, or it just finished an update and rebooted. This despite telling it not to do updates except in the middle of the night. I spend twenty minutes trying to get everything back open again and of course it didn’t save anything it should have saved, so I’ve got all these random documents that now need to be saved, but can’t be saved over their original file name, but need a NEW file name. " - S
* "I especially love it when Windows 10 decides to update my computer when I’m teaching a class or, even better, conducting a 30-minute conference presentation…and the update just starts in the middle of my slide deck.
Does this in spite of my settings for updates only at night when the system is idle.
I wonder if “update at night” gets mis-translated to the foreign Microsoft engineers whose “night” is our working daytime . Whose “night” are we talking about? "
* "EVERY TIME Windows 10 updates, it messes everything up. I found a hack online somewhere so I could get it stop automatically installing the updates.
Now when the dialog pops up because there's an update, I dismiss it, It still opens the update window but I can just close it now instead of waiting for the update to complete. It's annoying but it beats Windows updating whenever it wants to.
I'm actually afraid to do anymore Windows 10 updates. I keep dismissing them because installing them means I end up having to google all sorts of things to get everything back to the way it was. Sometimes I can't get it back to the way it was because they remove useful features that give users choices outside of the Microsoft ecosystem. I never know what to expect from an update and it has cost time and productivity every single time I've allowed an update to happen." - A
* Personalized settings for screen savers work inconsistently - "they work randomly and seldom" -S
* Windows start menu suggestions have regressed - "The start menu is a freaking joke, it puts whatever it wants there instead of what I am actually using all the time. The only way for me to open programs now is to windows-button then type in the program I’m looking for. I used to be able to click the most used ones or at least select them with windows key and my up or down arrow keys, but no more." -S
* Edge is repeatedly set as the default PDF viewing - "I've tried editing the registry so this doesn't happen but with no luck. I have never been so frustrated with Windows and never considered changing to a different O/S until now. I feel like my productively (i.e. time) is undermined by about 5%." -H
Looking forwards to hearing from you all.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the athen-list