[Athen] technology for seniors

Shelley Haven ShelleyHaven at techpotential.net
Tue Mar 6 14:06:46 PST 2018

For seniors who need a simplified computer interface, simplified interface for commonly-used software (email, contacts, audio/video chat, photos, news, games, etc.), and alternative access (touchscreen, mouse alternative, etc.), consider these options:

https://www.redstampmail.com <https://www.redstampmail.com/>
http://www.eldy.eu <http://www.eldy.eu/>
http://pawpawmail.com <http://pawpawmail.com/>
http://www.pointerware.com <http://www.pointerware.com/>
https://seeyoulink.com <https://seeyoulink.com/>

I've tried all but the last one with senior clients — they have their various pros and cons. Most have a “monitor” mode where another adult can remotely keep track of the senior’s activities and even provide assistance.

I’ve also used a MacBook in Simple Finder mode with a senior client, and added a remote assistance app (Join.Me, Zoom, etc.) so that I could assist and train their caregivers as needed.

Some companies have specifically adapted computers for easier use by seniors — for example:
https://www.mywowcomputer.com
http://www.aplusseniorcomputer.com/touch%20screen.htm
I’m sure there are others out there, too, as well as companies who have adapted Android tablets, etc.

Hope this helps,
Shelley

Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant