[Athen] Word-for-word vs meaning-for-meaning captioning

NDC Nav Team help at nationaldeafcenter.org
Wed May 2 11:54:30 PDT 2018

*Greetings Maria,The NDC| nav team saw your posting on the ATHEN listserv
and wanted to contribute to the discussion on various formats of
Speech-to-Text Services (STTS). We hope you find the following information
useful.NDC’s Speech-to-Text Services: An Introduction
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/introstt> (1), provides a general
overview of these services and offers the following considerations when
addressing the question of which format of STTS to provide:Selecting the
most appropriate system will depend on the specific situation and the
individual requesting the service. Some individuals will prefer
[Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART)] because they want to see
every word. Other individuals may prefer a meaning-for-meaning system
because they become overwhelmed with too much text and want more visual
formatting. Some individuals will prefer different services for different
settings. For example, a student may request verbatim captioning for a
history class, meaning-for-meaning captioning for a sociology class, and
interpreting for a math class. There is no “best” system for all situations
and all people. (p. 2)STTS are provided in real-time by a Speech-to-Text
Professional (STTP) that converts spoken and auditory information into
text. It is important to note that meaning-for-meaning services have
additional features that are more reader-friendly such as the ability to
incorporate symbols and equations for basic math or even physics classes.
CART services do have the ability to incorporate some symbols but you would
need to seek an STTP who is trained in doing so. Some deaf individuals may
find the meaning-for-meaning format more accessible for them in such cases.
Deaf individuals may use STTS alone or in addition to another accommodation
to have full communication access. There are several factors that can
influence this decision such as in the following scenarios: - A deaf
individual who does not know sign language and may use English to
communicate but requires STTS to understand what others are saying. - A
deaf individual who uses a sign language interpreter to communicate but
needs to access highly technical vocabulary such as for STEM and legal
coursework through STTS.- A deaf individual who may use an Assistive
Listening Device (ALD), such as an FM system, to understand what others are
saying but may still utilize STTS when environments are not ideal to rely
on an ALD alone (e.g. large event venues, highly interactive settings, or
other interference in the environment). An important standard for you to
be aware of is “effective communication”. Effective Communication is the
standard set by the U.S. Department of Justice to help determine
appropriate accommodations. The U.S. Department of Justice (2010)
<https://www.ada.gov/effective-comm.htm> (2) defines effective
communication as: ‘... communication which affords the individual the
ability to give or receive information in a manner that is best for them,
and which will ensure their full participation in the programs offered by
the institution.’ This standard offers insight to an individual’s choice
for a specific speech-to-text service. Student input and the standard
together are key factors in ensuring equal access in the classroom. NDC’s
Equitable Access Guide: Understanding Legal Responsibilities for
Institutions <http://nationaldeafcenter.org/eag> (3) provides the following
information in regards to honoring a student’s preference: Public
post-secondary institutions: “…must provide an opportunity for individuals
with disabilities to request the auxiliary aids and services of their
choice and must give primary consideration to the choice expressed by the
individual. ‘Primary consideration’ means that the public entity must honor
the choice, unless it can demonstrate that another equally effective means
of communication is available, or that use of the means chosen would result
in a fundamental alteration in the service, program, or activity or in
undue financial and administrative burdens (p.10
<http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/eag>).” From the same guide we also
learn of cases where it was determined that institutions did not consider
the individual’s perspective on effective communication: - In Argenyi v.
Creighton University, the court provided some further guidance that
highlights an additional requirement of the process. “…it is especially
important to consider the complainant's [student’s] testimony carefully
because ‘the individual with a disability is most familiar with his or her
disability and is in the best position to determine what type of aid or
service will be effective.” This statement reflects not just the facts of
the one case but the court’s broader understanding that the regulations and
existing case law give deference to the auxiliary aid or service requested
by deaf and hard of hearing individuals. (p. 9
<http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/eag>) We’ve seen in other rulings like
the Santa Ana case where the student’s subjective experience is key in
determining appropriate accommodations. The student is in the best position
to determine what type will be effective: - The college violated the ADA
and Section 504 by failing to give primary consideration to the student’s
request and to take into adequate consideration the student’s subjective
experience with the interpreter, especially in light of the significance of
the message. Prevailing law grants deference to the student, not the
institution, as to the adequacy of auxiliary aids. (p.19
<http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/eag>) Since there is not a
one-size-fits-all approach to accommodations, it is best to work with the
student to determine what will be most effective for them. There may be
specific reasons for a student to request meaning-for-meaning over verbatim
STTS, careful evaluation must be made when substituting one for the other.
The follow case highlights the need for careful evaluation to the
subjective experience of the student and the request for a specific
speech-to-text service format: As another example, in some instances
students have requested word-for-word real-time captioning, but an
institution has inappropriately substituted transcription based on a
meaning-to-meaning system, such as C-Print. In one case, the Department of
Education’s (ED) Office for Civil Rights (OCR) found that the substitute
was not effective for a student who was deaf or hard of hearing in a
paralegal class because she missed details of the lecture or information
was inaccurately interpreted. The student had supported her request with
medical information showing the need for word-for-word real-time
captioning, and after five weeks of classes reiterated that request because
she did not think the service provided was adequate. Comparing the
transcripts given to the student with audio tapes offered by another
student, OCR found that the transcripts did not include important legal
terminology that was discussed in class, examples used by the instructor to
illustrate legal concepts, and questions and answers that would have
assisted the student in comprehending the moderately complex legal concepts
addressed in the class, which emphasized not only questions and answers but
small group discussions. The transcripts also contained many instances of
missing or inaccurately interpreted information. The college agreed to
provide the necessary accommodations and to furnish appropriate auxiliary
aids to ensure effective communication in the future for other students.
(p. 14 <http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/eag>) We hope you find the above
information and resources useful, should you have any further questions
about STTS please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly at
help at nationaldeafcenter.org <help at nationaldeafcenter.org>. If you have not
done so, please subscribe to our listserv or bimonthly newsletter
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/sign-engage-ndc>. Shortly, you will
receive a survey asking for feedback on the activities, services, and
support provided by the NDC. Your feedback is appreciated and will be used
to improve NDC services. Resources Referenced: 1. Speech-to-Text Services:
An Introduction https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/introstt
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/introstt> 2. U.S. Department of Justice
(2010) https://www.ada.gov/effective-comm.htm
<https://www.ada.gov/effective-comm.htm>3. Equitable Access Guide:
Understanding Legal Responsibilities for Institutions (Second Edition)
www.nationaldeafcenter.org/eag <http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/eag>*

*NDC | nav team*
*Tia Ivanko, Lore Kinast, Dave Litman, Stephanie Zito*
National Deaf Center on Postsecondary Outcomes (NDC)
help at nationaldeafcenter.org
nationaldeafcenter.org
Sign up for our Newsletter or Listserv
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/sign-engage-ndc>

*Connect with NDC!*
<http://facebook.com/nationaldeafcenter>
<http://twitter.com/nationaldeafctr>
<http://instagram.com/nationaldeafcenter>

NDC is a technical assistance and dissemination center funded by the U.S.
Department of Education, OSEP #HD326D160001. Disclaimer: the contents of
this email do not necessarily represent the policy of the U.S. Department
of Education, and you should not assume endorsement by the federal
government.