[Athen] FW: Digital accessibility in the legal space: potholes or cookies?

Gaeir Dietrich gdietrich at htctu.net
Thu May 10 14:28:31 PDT 2018

Hi all!

Please forgive cross-posts, but Lainey Feingold’s legal updates are always very valuable. If you are interested in the legal aspects of digital equality, I highly recommend following Lainey by joining her list.

Best wishes,

Gaeir

Subject: Digital accessibility in the legal space: potholes or cookies?

I'm writing to share three recent article I've posted on my website. Two are about my sessions at the 2018 CSUN Assistive Technology Conference in San Diego last month. The third is a reminder to build accessibility into technology vendor contracts and procurement practices.

The first two articles have links to the powerpoint slides and summaries of the talks in San Diego. The third was first published in Business Law Today, a publication of the American Bar Association. As always, feedback welcomed.

* <https://lflegal.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c8f001aa20f9400bde58e6bfd&id=7d2d02bace&e=52e42af00f> Potholes of Discrimination: A Post-CSUN Legal Update Wrap-Up
* <https://lflegal.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c8f001aa20f9400bde58e6bfd&id=ba9b0a47e4&e=52e42af00f> Recipe for Staying Ahead of the Legal Curve: Bake Accessibility into Your Organization
* <https://lflegal.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c8f001aa20f9400bde58e6bfd&id=13967dddc2&e=52e42af00f> Technology Vendor Contracts and Accessibility: What Every Business Lawyer Should Know

Thank you to Eve Hill, my co-author of the vendor contract article. Thank you to Sue Boyd, the Microsoft lawyer who was my co-presenter for the Bake Accessibility session. We had a lot of fun and even served cookies to drive home our theme. (The ingredient list includes transparency, inclusive hiring, and accountability. Find out why in the article!)

Lastly, thank you to 96 year old federal judge Jack Weinstein who gave the legal update wrap-up its title. Judge Weinstein recently refused to throw a web access case out of court. He wrote that too narrow an interpretation of the Americans with Disabilities Act would leave "potholes of discrimination in what would otherwise be a smooth road to integration."

I wish each of you a smooth road, and the sweetness of cookies,

Lainey

p.s. I'll be doing the legal update next at the wonderful <https://lflegal.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c8f001aa20f9400bde58e6bfd&id=8eeec8580f&e=52e42af00f> AccessU conference in Austin in May. Get the details about that, as well as upcoming webinars and my talks at the annual ADA Symposium in Pittsburgh in June, on the <https://lflegal.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c8f001aa20f9400bde58e6bfd&id=4333c65c4e&e=52e42af00f> Speaking page of my website.

ps #2: Until April 30 my book is 30% off when purchased on the <https://lflegal.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c8f001aa20f9400bde58e6bfd&id=8cd23331f0&e=52e42af00f> publisher's website with code DRSALE50

Lainey Feingold
Law Office of Lainey Feingold
Author, <https://lflegal.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c8f001aa20f9400bde58e6bfd&id=0e297d9c54&e=52e42af00f> Structured Negotiation | A Winning Alternative to Lawsuits
<https://lflegal.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c8f001aa20f9400bde58e6bfd&id=cd12a5c99f&e=52e42af00f> http://lflegal.com/
510.548.5062
<mailto:LF at LFLegal.com> LF at LFLegal.com
<https://lflegal.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c8f001aa20f9400bde58e6bfd&id=95f84c74a1&e=52e42af00f> Follow on Twitter

Copyright © 2018 Law Office of Lainey Feingold, All rights reserved.
Thank you for being interested in Structured Negotiation and digital accessibility

Our mailing address is:

Law Office of Lainey Feingold

PO Box 9382

Berkeley, California 94709