[Athen] Accuracy rates for captioning and transcription

Weissenberger, Todd M todd-weissenberger at uiowa.edu
Sun Oct 21 05:48:00 PDT 2018

Colleagues,

Occasionally I hear about groups (on my campus and elsewhere) who are working to develop automated captioning and transcription tools.

I’d be curious to hear people’s thoughts on automated captioning, any success stories (or cautionary tales), cost/benefit analyses between automated and outsourced captioning, and especially what degree of accuracy would be sufficient (and is currently achievable) for such tools.

I look forward to your thoughts on this.

Todd

T.M. Weissenberger
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology Services