[Athen] Headings in Word 2016 not carrying over to PDFs

Karlen Communications info at karlencommunications.com
Tue Oct 30 10:11:23 PDT 2018

If you choose to Print > Adobe PDF as your printer, you create an untagged
PDF.

I have the latest version of Office 365/2016 and am not seeing this problem.
I don’t usually use the Acrobat Ribbon but the times I have, I haven’t
noticed Headings missing.

If you press F12 to use the Microsoft tool to generate tagged PDF, you will
need to make the change in the Options dialog as Joe suggested.

Once you press F12 and the Save As dialog opens, keep the same filename.
Press Tab to move to the Files of Type and choose PDF. You then need to
press Alt + letter O to open the Options dialog.

Press Alt + C to move directly to the Create Bookmarks check box and check
it. It should automatically choose to use Headings as Bookmarks. You can
press Tab to move to the radio button to use Headings as Bookmarks. Tags
should be checked by default as indicated in Joe’s post. Using Headings as
Bookmarks conforms with PDF/UA.

You can press Tab to move through the other check boxes to make sure that
you are creating tagged PDF, but it should be the default and if you’ve used
Headings, they should be tagged correctly.

Once you are finished in the Options dialog, Tab to the Ok button which
dismisses the Options dialog, then press Alt + S to save the Word document
as a tagged PDF.

Cheers, Karen