[Athen] ever okay to merge cells in Excel?

chagnon at pubcom.com chagnon at pubcom.com
Sat Sep 8 16:39:38 PDT 2018

Agree: ok to merge cells.

I think the recommendation of “no merged cells” is outdated from 15-20 years ago when screen readers didn’t recognize and announce them well.

I still have about 1 tech support call/email a month asking about this. It’s time for all of us to put this old recommendation out to pasture!

To add more details for folks creating tables in PDFs:

The merged cells should also have the span and scope placed on the final merged cell to indicate the columns and rows it applies to.

And in complex PDF tables with compound headers, also put header I D’s on them, too. Microsoft and Adobe are improving their tools to do this. Not perfect yet, but in progress and nice to see it improve.

—Bevi Chagnon

— — —

Bevi Chagnon, founder/CEO | <mailto:Bevi at PubCom.com> Bevi at PubCom.com

— — —

PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing

consulting • training • development • design • sec. 508 services

Upcoming classes at <http://www.pubcom.com/classes> www.PubCom.com/classes

— — —

<https://mailchi.mp/ff5bd323ea45/newsletter-accessibility-fonts-design-upcoming-classes-2901237> Latest blog-newsletter – Accessibility Tips at <http://www.PubCom.com/blog> www.PubCom.com/blog