[Athen] supporting a student using text-to-speech to hear mathematics and other STEM content read aloud

Kevin Andrews kejandre at ucsc.edu
Wed Apr 3 09:27:19 PDT 2019

Hi all,

Does anybody have suggestions for supporting a student who is having
difficulty with math and other stem-related material being read aloud? We
use Kurzweil here at our institution and as I'm sure many of you know, it's
not really the best tool to read material with different symbols, equations
and things like that.

I'm curious to hear what other folks are doing to help their students. This
might mean going back to the drawing board and really trying to figure out
where the need is and where it's coming from for the tts.

Thanks for your insights!

--
Best,

Kevin Andrews
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Accessible Technology Coordinator,
Scribes and Readers Coordinator
Disability Resource Center
University of California, Santa Cruz
Website: drc.ucsc.edu

Direct Line: 831 459-1262

Please allow 24 hours for a response. For immediate needs, contact the DRC
main line by phone at 831-459-2089.

Confidentiality Notice:This e-mail communication and any attachments may
contain confidential and privileged information.If you are not the intended
recipient(s), you are hereby notified that you have received this
communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination,
distribution or
copying of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by
replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.