[Athen] Update on PDF Remediation Tools

Karlen Communications info at karlencommunications.com
Thu Apr 11 05:44:05 PDT 2019

Hi Everyone:

As some of you know, I've been trying out Nuance PowerPDF Advanced and Foxit
Phantom for Business.

I had two documents that are forms which means a lot of underline and boxes
to visually represent where you enter information.

When I used the Acrobat Pro DC (current release/update) ability to auto tag
the documents, about 85% of the lines, boxes and bits of the background were
tagged as <figures> requiring Alt Text and only about 15% of the actual text
was tagged. When I deleted the Tags, went to Nuance's PowerPDF and retagged
the document, NONE of the background bits, lines or boxes were tagged. ONLY
the text on the page was tagged. I had minimal remediation to make the text
of the forms accessible (mostly rearranging the question order and
separating parts of a question to fit the form controls in).

This saved me hours of work I was facing in making most of the things in the
Tags Tree Artifacts manually and trying to manually Tag the text in the
forms. Nuance PowerPDF does have a Forms Ribbon but I am on a deadline so
will try it out once this project is finished.

Foxit is trying to get me to not give up on their product but I really can't
face another 2-5 days of lost time trying to gain control of my computer, so
we are still talking about getting my money back. Their position is that
everything I've experienced should not be happening with their software.

BTW, for those of you who are either trying or buying Nuance PowerPDF
Advanced, their help docs are out of date. They now have a button in the
Tags Panel to the left of the Options button that will auto Tag a PDF
document. I've added this to my notes for a tutorial.I spent about 15
minutes yesterday trying to remember where the button was. LOL

Cheers, Karen