[Athen] Update on PDF Remediation Tools

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Thu Apr 11 10:16:12 PDT 2019

Thanks Karen,
I haven't looked at the Nuance PDF product for years. Thank you for the
update. It would be great if we could find an alternative to Acrobat Pro
for PDF remediation. Last I checked, the pricing was not much different
between the Nuance option and Acrobat, sadly.

I would be nervous about the Nuance product in terms of stability and
accessibility over time based on my experience with how they release
updates totheir speech recognition products. They have a tendency to make
significant UI changes with little thought to accessibility as well as
basic user experience. Their user support also doesn't have a good
reputation. But if it offers any competition to Adobe, it would be a good
starting point to consider, in my opinion.

-*- Dan

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 6:03 AM Karlen Communications <
info at karlencommunications.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone:

> As some of you know, I've been trying out Nuance PowerPDF Advanced and

> Foxit Phantom for Business.

> I had two documents that are forms which means a lot of underline and

> boxes to visually represent where you enter information.

> When I used the Acrobat Pro DC (current release/update) ability to auto

> tag the documents, about 85% of the lines, boxes and bits of the background

> were tagged as <figures> requiring Alt Text and only about 15% of the

> actual text was tagged. When I deleted the Tags, went to Nuance's PowerPDF

> and retagged the document, NONE of the background bits, lines or boxes were

> tagged. ONLY the text on the page was tagged. I had minimal remediation to

> make the text of the forms accessible (mostly rearranging the question

> order and separating parts of a question to fit the form controls in).

> This saved me hours of work I was facing in making most of the things in

> the Tags Tree Artifacts manually and trying to manually Tag the text in the

> forms. Nuance PowerPDF does have a Forms Ribbon but I am on a deadline so

> will try it out once this project is finished.

> Foxit is trying to get me to not give up on their product but I really

> can't face another 2-5 days of lost time trying to gain control of my

> computer, so we are still talking about getting my money back. Their

> position is that everything I’ve experienced should not be happening with

> their software.

> BTW, for those of you who are either trying or buying Nuance PowerPDF

> Advanced, their help docs are out of date. They now have a button in the

> Tags Panel to the left of the Options button that will auto Tag a PDF

> document. I’ve added this to my notes for a tutorial…I spent about 15

> minutes yesterday trying to remember where the button was. LOL

> Cheers, Karen

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology