[Athen] Screen reader punctuation issue

Bossley, Peter A. bossley.5 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 13 17:31:08 PST 2019

There is no easy way to do this. However, it would be possible to write out what you wanted the screen reader to read as an aria-label. The issue with this would be that if the screen reader user were to review it word by word they would read the label text and not the format that is actually present on the page. It is for that reason that I wouldn’t suggest doing this.

The best advice might be to put a notice on the page itself above the content e.g.
The following section demonstrates syntax for search engines. If you are a screen reader user we recommend that you increase your screen reader punctuation verbosity for best results on this page.