[Athen] athen-list Digest, Vol 167, Issue 17

Stephen (Alex) Marositz smarositz at csudh.edu
Wed Dec 18 13:36:15 PST 2019

Hi All

I think a better approach is to teach screen reader users to use Word or whatever word processor they are using to generate the citations automatically and then clean them up if necessary using find-and-replace and other editing techniques. This way their citations will be consistent. This, in my experience, will cause them to site more because it forgoes the tedious memorization of punctuation and formatting that a screen reader user inevitably has to do when creating them by hand. Just looking at word on my desktop in my office, it contains formatting for APA, MLA, Chicago and others. You can even create custom styles if needed.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/apa-mla-chicago-%E2%80%93-automatically-format-bibliographies-405c207c-7070-42fa-91e7-eaf064b14dbb

Note, the referenced Microsoft support article is very mouse centric but it all works with the keyboard too.

I hope this helps

Stephen Alex Marositz
ATI Coordinator
CSUDH