[Athen] Note taking assistance for a student who is blind

Debbie Krahmer dkrahmer at colgate.edu
Wed Feb 27 13:39:10 PST 2019

I’ve experienced this with low vision, where I suggested the student to
just make a big scribble mark when something important was said or to
“bookmark” different parts of the lecture they wanted to go back to. It
doesn’t require being able to read your handwriting at all, just stab a
scribble with a pen. I’m sure with a stylus you could make the pages more
tactile and easier to make marks.

Sonocent lets you record audio and make bookmarks, but I’m not aware of a
regular digital recorder where you could do this...

Thanks,
Debbie K.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 4:30 PM Kluesner, Bryon <Bryon-Kluesner at utc.edu>
wrote:

> Hi all,

> I was speaking to a student who was blind about a Live Scribe workshop I

> was preparing for. He stated he would like to use one. I tried to explain

> the visual component of it and asked if a student used one in class to take

> notes for him, how would he know where on the page to tap for the pen to

> initiate the audio? I asked why he didn’t like to use a digital recorder

> and he stated listening to it was like listening to the class twice and the

> recorder, he stated, would help go to the parts in the lecture he wanted to

> listen to faster. I am having a hard time with the concept of a student who

> is blind and the benefits for using a Live Scribe pen.

> Has anyone else faced this issue? Is there any other technology that

> would, in essence, function similarly to the Live Scribe that would be

> helpful for the student?

> As always, I appreciate the feedback I get from this list.

> Have a nice week.

> Bryon

> *Bryon Kluesner, RhD*

> *Adaptive Technology Coordinator*

> *Disability Resource Center*

> *Adjunct Professor*

> *College of Health, Education & Professional Studies*

> <https://maps.google.com/?q=615+McCallie+Avenue,+Dept.+2953+%0D%0A+Chattanooga,+TN+37403&entry=gmail&source=g>

> [image: Power C]

> *The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga*

> 103 Frist Hall

> 615 McCallie Avenue, Dept. 2953

> <https://maps.google.com/?q=615+McCallie+Avenue,+Dept.+2953+%0D%0A+Chattanooga,+TN+37403&entry=gmail&source=g>

> Chattanooga, TN 37403

> <https://maps.google.com/?q=615+McCallie+Avenue,+Dept.+2953+%0D%0A+Chattanooga,+TN+37403&entry=gmail&source=g>

> (423) 425-4006 | utc.edu/drc <http://www.utc.edu/dean-students>

> *A member of the Division of Student Affairs

> <https://www.utc.edu/student-affairs/index.php>*

Debbie Krahmer
Preferred Pronouns: My name/no pronouns
Associate Professor in the Libraries
Accessible Technology & Government Documents Librarian
304 Case-Geyer
Colgate University
315-228-6592
dkrahmer at colgate.edu