[Athen] Learning ally deleting students

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Fri Jun 28 07:43:56 PDT 2019

OK, so I’ve discovered a dialog box pops up that says “delete” or “archive” this student, with the student’s name followed by a confirm and a cancel link.

What’s going on though is that it’s being shown at the end of the virtual buffer. I know there’s a way web designers can indicate that something is a dialog box so the screen reader will treat it like one, but I don’t know exactly how that’s done. Aria maybe?

Also because the Learning Ally site is slow it takes several seconds for that box to appear which makes the whole thing even more confusing. You press Delete or archive and nothing appears to happen. Then eventually that box appears, and you have to loose your place, do ctrl-End to get to the end of the buffer, then arrow back up to find the link for confirm. Tedious, but usable!

And I’ve also confirmed that these cancel and confirm links aren’t in tab order so even if you don’t use a screen reader you’d have to hit tab hundreds of times to arrive at those links.
Would be better if you could check boxes for everyone you want to delete, archive or unarchive and then hit one confirm button.

I don’t think they need a real screen reader user testing things to fix most issues though. They just have to make their staff use their own site with the keyboard for a week and they’ll see immediately what its biggest interface problems are.

--Debee