[Athen] Introducing myself to the group

Stephen (Alex) Marositz smarositz at csudh.edu
Fri Jun 28 09:29:16 PDT 2019

Hello Tyler

I couldn't agree with Debra more. Although I am a screen reader user myself, most of my career has been spent learning about and working with various learning styles, cognitive disabilities and study strategies because that is the population of students we serve most often in higher ed. And, in fact, those skills are translatable when you are working with someone with a sensory impairment, not the other way around.

I would even take it one step further, when I am working with a vendor evaluating a product for accessibility, I go out of my way to not let them know I use a screen reader whenever possible. Not because I am being deceptive, but because I am evaluating the product for the campus community, not for screen reader users.

As Debra said, ask questions and keep engaged. It is how we all learn.

Stephen Alexander (Alex) Marositz J.D. CPACC
Accessible Technology Initiative Coordinator
Information Technology Services, California State University Dominguez Hills
(310)243-3077