[Athen] Adobe Reader DC -- in case this happens to you

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Wed Mar 13 08:29:44 PDT 2019

On my home computer I could no longer read PDF files. Read aloud wouldn't work. Screen readers would find the pages blank. This was true even with fully accessible PDF files. And trying to save the file as text got me an "access denied" message.

I thought it had something to do with Windows 10, or an accessibility setting - it didn't!

It was very frustrating; I was emailing myself PDF files from home to work to read.

Then I discovered the problem was caused by Protected View. All I had to do was go to Edit, Preferences, Security(enhanced) and turn off protected view.

Seems like Adobe could have given a few informative messages to alert me to the issue. "Access denied" doesn't cut it and there are thirty separate categories under preferences. I hate when the complexity of software makes an issue like this so difficult to track down!

--Debee