[Athen] Adobe Reader DC -- in case this happens to you

Erik Ferguson erik.ferguson at pcc.edu
Wed Mar 13 08:40:10 PDT 2019

Thanks for posting this! It is indeed a problem I have encountered many
times before. Sorry you had to go through that. Great tip!

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 8:37 AM Deborah Armstrong <armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu>
wrote:

> On my home computer I could no longer read PDF files. Read aloud wouldn’t

> work. Screen readers would find the pages blank. This was true even with

> fully accessible PDF files. And trying to save the file as text got me an

> “access denied” message.

> I thought it had something to do with Windows 10, or an accessibility

> setting – it didn’t!

> It was very frustrating; I was emailing myself PDF files from home to work

> to read.

> Then I discovered the problem was caused by Protected View. All I had to

> do was go to Edit, Preferences, Security(enhanced) and turn off protected

> view.

> Seems like Adobe could have given a few informative messages to alert me

> to the issue. “Access denied” doesn’t cut it and there are thirty separate

> categories under preferences. I hate when the complexity of software makes

> an issue like this so difficult to track down!

> --Debee

Erik Ferguson
Alternative Media Technician
PCC Disability Services Assistive Technology Team
Contact us for questions and support at:
Phone: 971-722-TECH (971-722-8324)
access-tech-group at pcc.edu
*Please Note: I am not in office Tuesday or Thursday. For immediate
response please use the email and number listed in signature above.*