[Athen] Recommendations for managing alternative format requests

Erik Ferguson erik.ferguson at pcc.edu
Wed Sep 18 10:45:24 PDT 2019

We use AIM along side Google Drive, to track and distribute Alt formats. I
am a huge proponent of AIM for many reasons. We were using an AIM/Dropbox
combo in the recent past, but being a Google school made the switch to
Drive pretty easy. There are a few random little hitches with Drive sharing
and Read and Write but the work around is easy. IE the files are "owned" by
DS when directly shared through AIM which renders the annotation tools on
the student side in operative. If you download the file and the student
re-uploads it to their Drive, ownership permissions change on that copy and
the annotation tools are usable again. Most students seem to want
TTS/reading and are not concerned with digital annotation so its not really
a big deal.

Best,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 8:46 AM Michele Bromley <michele.bromley at pdx.edu>
wrote:

> The Disability Resource Center at PSU uses AIM

> <https://www.accessiblelearning.com/>, which has worked really well for

> tracking alternative format production.

> Michele Joy Bromley

> IT Accessibility Coordinator

> Office of Information Technology (OIT) <https://www.pdx.edu/oit/>

> Portland State University (PSU) <http://www.pdx.edu/>

> [image: The Portland State University logo includes intertwined letters P,

> S, and U that represent the interconnectedness of the university to the

> city, region, and world.] <http://www.pdx.edu/>

> Office: SMSU 18

> Phone: 503-725-8395

> Email: michele.bromley at pdx.edu

> Website: www.pdx.edu/accessibility

> “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone

> regardless of disability is an essential aspect.” ~ Tim Berners-Lee

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 8:20 AM Justin Romack <justinr at disability.tamu.edu>

> wrote:

>> Howdy all!

>> Our office has used a home-grown web app to accept, track and fulfill

>> alternative format requests from students. This app, designed in the

>> mid-2000’s, has been a phenomenal asset to our process … but we’ve outgrown

>> its capabilities and there are no plans to expand the app in the future.

>> Because we’re a Google campus, I’ve started using Google Drive to upload

>> and distribute materials to students as we fulfill requests … but I’m

>> curious what systems, apps or processes you all are using to accept

>> requests for materials from your students, and then track work being done

>> to fulfill these request? I’m sure there’s a nifty project management

>> solution out there … but this isn’t my realm, and I’m hoping someone can

>> point me in a good direction.

>> Additional context: I have several team members working in our program. I

>> also need a solution that works well with JAWS, as I’m totally blind and

>> screen reader accessibility is imperative. I’ll ideally be able to have a

>> form to let students request their materials, a spreadsheet to track

>> requests, the ability to make notes on individual requests as progress is

>> made, and a way to quickly and easily communicate with the student

>> requesting the materials to provide updates as we work to fulfill their

>> request.

>> Grateful for any input or advice you can share. Thanks all!

>> Best,

>> Justin

>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

>> *Justin Romack* | Assistive Technology Coordinator

>> Disability Services | Texas A&M University

>> 1224 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-1224

>> ph: 979.845.1637 | justinr at disability.tamu.edu | disability.tamu.edu

>> *DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS *| One Division. One Mission.

Erik Ferguson
Alternative Media Technician
PCC Disability Services Assistive Technology Team
Contact us for questions and support at:
Phone: 971-722-TECH (971-722-8324)
access-tech-group at pcc.edu
*Please Note: I am not in office Tuesday or Thursday. For immediate
response please use the email and number listed in signature above.*