[Athen] OT: seeking an app for my Mom

Erik Ferguson erik.ferguson at pcc.edu
Thu Apr 9 11:29:25 PDT 2020

Voice Dream has a very tidy mail reading app for 10 bucks that works
nicely. You can buy the whole suite for something like 20 bucks and read
web pages too if she can handle the work flow of “sharing”

I also like “NOA” news over audio if you can afford the subscription.

Best,
Erik

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:21 AM Randa Roland <randaro at ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Hi there,

> I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I don't have an app recommendation for

> you, but I'd be happy to send a "hello" message to your mom to let her know

> there are lots of people out here who love and appreciate their moms.

> I hope you're safe and well.

> By the way, I'm Randa, a faculty lecturer in chemistry at UC Santa Cruz.

> Your posts are really helpful.

> Thanks, and take care,

> Randa

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:13 AM Deborah Armstrong <

> armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu> wrote:

>> My mom, in her late eighties has worsening macular degeneration. She’s

>> stuck inside her apartment and becoming very self-absorbed. She doesn’t

>> have the virus!

>> I’m posting here because the answers can probably help some of our

>> students.

>> Mom reads email on her iPAD and also the web when email contains links to

>> pages. She also uses Facebook a lot.

>> She wants an app that “reads to her”.

>> I have previously shown her voiceover – too complicated. I showed her

>> speak screen, but that just reads the screen.

>> I’m looking for an app that will read her email to her, something with

>> nice big buttons for next message, previous message and delete. Something

>> super-duper easy to learn!

>> Also does anyone know of atalking browser app for iDEVICES? Again EASY!

>> (We also tried Zoom with Safari and we found that tired her eyes out just

>> as much as using Safari without zoom.)

>> --Debee

Erik Ferguson
Alternative Media Technician
PCC Disability Services Assistive Technology Team
Contact us for questions and support at:
Phone: 971-722-TECH (971-722-8324)
access-tech-group at pcc.edu
*Please Note: I am not in office Tuesday or Thursday. For immediate
response please use the email and number listed in signature above.*