[Athen] Diversity Markers in Image Descriptions

chagnon at pubcom.com chagnon at pubcom.com
Thu Aug 13 16:31:22 PDT 2020

We try be aware that people who use Alt-text have different abilities and levels of access. So the Alt-text should find a balance between being minimal and brief, while also giving enough details to, for example, someone who has low vision. They often can see some of the photo but not well enough to clarify the details.

Cath’s example below for the photo of a Botswanan woman is an excellent example of that balance: “Barefoot woman carries baby while walking dirt footpath in Botswanan countryside.” Something shorter, like “Woman carrying baby,” leaves out too many details and miscommunicates the photo’s purpose and message.

We call this “rich Alt-text” because it provides more visual details than is recommended by most Alt-text guidelines. It’s warranted for some types of graphics, but not all, and should be used “delicately.”

I love someone else’s recommendation to use “diverse group of people” to indicate different races, genders, etc. So much is conveyed with those few words.

FYI, I’m presenting a free 1 hour webinar on writing Alt-text for Open Access Technologies. Register at https://www.openaccesstech.com/oat-webinar-series/

— — —

Bevi Chagnon | Designer, Accessibility Technician | <mailto:Chagnon at PubCom.com> Chagnon at PubCom.com

— — —

PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing

consulting • training • development • design • sec. 508 services

Upcoming classes at <http://www.pubcom.com/classes> www.PubCom.com/classes

— — —

<https://mailchi.mp/e694edcdfadd/class-discount-3266574> Latest blog-newsletter – <https://www.pubcom.com/blog/2020_07-20/alt-text_part-1.shtml> Simple Guide to Writing Alt-Text