[Athen] Fwd: Here's a Question for You

Sheryl Burgstahler sherylb at uw.edu
Wed Dec 2 08:05:34 PST 2020

Respond to Judy Vessel if you are interested in this opportunity.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Judy Vesel <judy_vesel at terc.edu<mailto:judy_vesel at terc.edu>>
Subject: Here's a Question for You
Date: December 2, 2020 at 6:42:14 AM PST
To: "Sheryl E. Burgstahler" <sherylb at uw.edu<mailto:sherylb at uw.edu>>

Sheryl:
I've become involved in a proposal and need a faculty member in computer science (or the like) with a research interest in designing learning technologies for inclusive classrooms. Please see below. Do you know of anyone who might be willing to do this or someone who might know of such a person? The person we had dropped out due to COVID.
Thanks,
_Judy
Overview: Improving the Accuracy of STEM Speech to Text Transcription with a Graphemic Text Editor is an exploratory project with the goal of broadening participation of students in the middle grades and high school with disabilities in remote and face-to-face STEM teaching and learning experiences that incorporate life science content. With this project, Bridge Multimedia, Syncro Services Digital Media, and a faculty member in computer science with a research interest in designing learning technologies for inclusive classrooms will develop a proof-of-concept grapheme-based speech-to-text transcription editor app extension. The editor will provide teachers and their students with technology that corrects many of the speech-to-text transcription errors that occur in ~80-90% of print text output that involves life scien