[Athen] Audio Description Vendors

Terrill Thompson tft at uw.edu
Fri Dec 11 08:21:56 PST 2020

Hi Corrine,

We at the University of Washington have compiled a short list of audio
description vendors on our Creating Accessible Videos
<https://www.washington.edu/accessibility/videos/> website.
Specifically see the section on "Audio Description".

It's been a couple of years since we compiled that list, so I'm not sure if
it's necessarily still accurate. I do know that both 3PlayMedia and
AudioEyes provide audio description using speech synthesis, and do so for a
lower price than the other providers. The other providers use human
voiceover talent to provide the narration, so it's arguably a more
professional product, but the cost is slightly higher. The cost is coming
down though as this has become a more competitive marketplace.

Among the traditional providers listed, we typically use Audio Eyes and
have been very happy with their service.

Regards,
Terrill

---
Terrill Thompson