[Athen] Voice thread accessibility

Erik Ferguson erik.ferguson at pcc.edu
Mon Jul 27 15:10:57 PDT 2020

Please post to List. I am interested in hearing more on this topic.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:49 PM Wink Harner <foreigntype at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ATHEN-ites,

> I am navigating a faculty training course in Blackboard through CUNY where

> I teach. Ironically, it's a course in accessibility & UDL, and one of the

> first components to complete is introductions via Voice Thread.

> I have experienced some real dead ends in Blackboard when trying to use

> Dragon NaturallySpeaking with other components. Voice Navigation does not

> appear to recognize any voice commands to navigate the program. When I

> reported to the course facilitators that I could not navigate the Voice

> Thread menus using Dragon NaturallySpeaking, the response I got was

> that Blackboard was making exceptional efforts in making Voice Thread

> accessible. It doesn't appear to be accessible unless one uses the keyboard

> and or the mouse. Does anyone have any inside tips or tricks on how to use

> voice recognition & navigation software (yes, you have permission to preach

> to me!) Or experience with glitches using JAWS or NVDA in navigation?

> Please contact me off-line. Thanks in advance!

> Wink Harner

> Accessibility Consultant/Alternative Text Production

> The Foreign Type

> Portland OR

> foreigntype at gmail.com

> 480-984-0034

> This email was dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Please forgive

> quirks, misrecognitions, or errata .

Erik Ferguson
Alternative Media Technician
PCC Disability Services Assistive Technology Team
Contact us for questions and support at:
Phone: 971-722-TECH (971-722-8324)
access-tech-group at pcc.edu
*Please Note: I am not in office Tuesday or Thursday. For immediate
response please use the email and number listed in signature above.*