[Athen] LaTex and Accessibility - I need some help

Heather Mariger heather.mariger at chemeketa.edu
Wed Jun 3 17:16:48 PDT 2020

Greetings,

The time I have dreaded has finally come!

I have been trying to sort out/understand all of the different information
on how to help faculty make math formulas accessible in their course
documents. Between all of the conflicting/outdated information, lack of
experience with different math tools and a general mental block when it
comes to math, I have not been terribly successful.

Today, I was approached by a math instructor who wants to make his
materials more accessible. He uses LaTex in PDFs for his tests and
handouts. I know that PDFs don't handle equations properly but am
stymied on the best option to suggest for him to still be able to use LaTex
but in an accessible way.

Any advice or suggestions on how to help him would be greatly appreciated.
I am so thrilled to be starting to make those voluntary inroads and I want
to make sure that I am giving him the best advice/support possible without
adding huge piles of work to his plate.

I am so grateful to have all of you awesome folks to turn to when I hit the
muddy waters...

Thanks,
H.

*Heather Mariger*
*Digital Accessibility Advocate*

*Pronouns: She/Her*

*Center for Academic Innovation*
*Chemeketa Community College*
*4000 Lancaster Drive NE - 9/126A*
*Salem, OR 97305*

503.589.7832

*Diversity is being invited to the party; inclusion is being asked to
dance. *
Verna Myers, author and speaker