[Athen] [EXT] Tables accessibility

Susan Kelmer Susan.Kelmer at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 9 08:11:38 PDT 2020

This is the method we use, as well, and I refer to it as a “best practice.” We move the table caption/identifier to above the table, and sometimes add extra information and call it a “caption” or sometimes “alternate format note.” Alt-texting a table is not a thing, yet, and even if it was, I agree with Bevi that we shouldn’t put that information in a hidden format that only certain readers can see. Marking the header row in the table is critical, as well. And the simpler the table, the better. I have been known to break tables into smaller tables when the information is REALLY complex and hard to follow.

*Please note: I am currently working remotely, so can be reached by email, Teams, or by cell at 303-475-7447.*

Susan Kelmer
Alternate Format Production Program Manager
Disability Services
Division of Student Affairs
T 303 735 4836
www.colorado.edu/disabilityservices<http://www.colorado.edu/disabilityservices>

[cid:image001.png at 01D598AC.79FC1C60]

Due to the nature of electronic communication, the security of this message cannot be guaranteed. If you’ve received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.