[Athen] Question about accessible math and PDF

chagnon at pubcom.com chagnon at pubcom.com
Mon Jun 15 07:31:28 PDT 2020

To the best of my knowledge, PDF does not handle accessible math well.

I’m sure we’ll see better implementation when future PDF and PDF/UA standards are released.

One way to improve your materials now is to ensure that the correct Unicode math glyphs/characters are used. Example: 10 − 2 = 8 uses Unicode minus sign U+2212, not a hyphen.

Unicode charts are at http://www.unicode.org/charts/#symbols

— — —

Bevi Chagnon, founder/CEO |

— — —

PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing

consulting • training • development • design • sec. 508 services

Upcoming classes at <http://www.pubcom.com/classes> www.PubCom.com/classes

— — —

<https://mailchi.mp/dfadd677496c/heqcq8lsqb-2960773> Latest blog-newsletter – Accessibility Tips at <http://www.pubcom.com/blog> www.PubCom.com/blog