[Athen] Question about accessible math and PDF

Susan Kelmer Susan.Kelmer at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 16 06:33:41 PDT 2020

LEAN math won't translate into a PDF. What it DID do is overlay alt text on math objects created with MathType in Microsoft Word, and then Jaws and NVDA could read that alt-text. This was before NVDA was updated to read MathType natively in Microsoft Word. Jaws can read some MathType in MS Word, too, these days, but not perfectly, for sure.

Your BEST and most accessible option is going to be creating Math in Microsoft Word with MathType, then publishing to MathML.

*Please note:  I am currently working remotely, so can be reached by email, Teams, or by cell at 303-475-7447.*

Susan Kelmer
Alternate Format Production Program Manager
Disability Services
Division of Student Affairs
T 303 735 4836
www.colorado.edu/disabilityservices

Due to the nature of electronic communication, the security of this message cannot be guaranteed. If you’ve received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.