[Athen] Physical delivery of alt media, is it a legal requirement?

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Thu Mar 19 13:22:20 PDT 2020

I think the answer to the question in the subject line is a qualified "yes"

Digital content, however, has a wide variety of delivery methods. Physical
media is not required, although I'm sure we could all come up with
scenarios where the answer is not so simple.

We've been working on a plan to continue to provide physical braille and
tactile graphics at the UW when requested.

-*- Dan

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:01 AM Deborah Armstrong <
armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu> wrote:

> Most of my students are super happy to get their alt media in the cloud.

> But this morning I had my first student who wanted her word docs on CD.

> Her counselor is explaining to her that she needs to learn to download

> from the cloud and burn her own CDS.

> This student is timid and I’m sure she’ll eventually get pushed in to

> being more independent, but what do others think? Am I legally required to

> provide her a CD?

> This is community college with many students who are the first in their

> family to attend college.

> --Debee

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology