[Athen] Evaluating a book's accessibility

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Mon Mar 23 10:02:46 PDT 2020

Got an email from an instructor who asks a simple question: "is this book that I'm considering for use in my course accessible?".

First, let's applaud this instructor for even thinking before adopting a textbook.

But, I feel completely unqualified to evaluate her proposed book. First of all she sent me a link to the publisher's page. So no idea how I can actually get this book (ebook) to evaluate. I don't have a student request for it.

Second, I'm a screen reader user. I'm not qualified to determine other things, like whether it works for users of other AT. I don't want to pretend I am.

What's the best practice here? I want to give her an honest answer but don't want to buy a book I do not need.

The book is here:
https://www.zybooks.com/.

But the instructor has given me only the publisher's site not the exact book title. I think she wonders if any offerings from this publisher are accessible.

I am asking in a general sense, as I expect to get similar questions like this in the future.

--Debee