[Athen] Georgetown Prisons & Justice Initiative hiring (a) Communications Director; (b) Technology Coordinator

Lydia X. Z. Brown lydia at autistichoya.com
Mon Nov 16 08:50:33 PST 2020

The Georgetown Prisons and Justice Initiative is pleased to announce two
new staff positions, which will allow us to strengthen our prison education
programs despite the challenging circumstances and raise the PJI profile
and deepen our relationships across campus and in the community. The first
position, the PJI* Director of Communications*, will assume responsibility
for all PJI communications, celebrating our successes and sharing PJI
stories as widely as possible. The second position, the PJI *Technology
Coordinator*, will focus on the urgent need to adapt our existing programs
for online environments as a result of pandemic-related restrictions,
although this position also has the potential to develop innovative
research and library technologies for the longer-term success of our
college-in-prison programs. Both positions will become integral members of
a small but dedicated team, and we especially welcome applications from
individuals who are passionate about decarceration and increased
opportunities for incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people.

The *Director of Communications *will be responsible for everything from
strategic vision to content creation, ensuring that all PJI messaging is in
line with our mission--to better understand the causes and consequences of
the mass incarceration crisis, to contribute to solutions for effective
reform, and to improve the lives of incarcerated and formerly incarcerated
people in the DC area and beyond. We are searching for someone with a
demonstrated record of impact in journalism or communications, and the
ability to tell stories across a wide range of media and formats. Equally
important, we are looking for someone with the willingness to center
incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people in the narrative, and to
amplify their voices and perspectives. This position would be a great fit
for anyone who wants to help show the destructive effects of our system of
mass incarceration and the powerful potential of education and opportunity
to transform the lives of those who have been incarcerated, but it would be
an especially great fit for someone who has been directly or indirectly
impacted by the system.

Apply for the Director of Communications Position Here
<https://georgetown.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=01d1600d27b9aedc5216834f3&id=8054b45340&e=35f412a3f8>

The *Technology Coordinator* will play a key role in negotiating new
distance learning initiatives with our partners in the correctional system,
and implementing those programs with the support of Georgetown’s University
Information Systems (UIS). The tech coordinator will also support faculty
conversion of course materials into new online formats and facilitate
discussion and interactions in virtual environments. Finally, the tech
coordinat aor will be responsible for training incarcerated and formerly
incarcerated students in the effective use of technology, and
troubleshooting as required. This is an excellent opportunity to use your
skills to bridge the digital divide and make a lasting impact. It will be a
great fit for the person with the right combination of technological
expertise and commitment to social justice, but like all of our positions,
it would be an especially great fit for someone who has been directly or
indirectly impacted by the system.
Apply for the Technology Coordinator Position Here
<https://georgetown.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=01d1600d27b9aedc5216834f3&id=8b3d7763d2&e=35f412a3f8>

PJI is grateful for the support of both the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and
our private donors. This funding has allowed us to establish these
positions, expand our programming, and deepen the impact of our work. We
look forward to welcoming two talented new members of our staff, so please
share these opportunities widely and help us grow and strengthen our team!