[Athen] Remote or Denver: Civil Rights Education & Enforcement Center hiring ASL-fluent Paralegal (Deaf/HoH preferred)

Lydia X. Z. Brown lydia at autistichoya.com
Wed Oct 21 07:07:06 PDT 2020

Please circulate widely. Thanks!

[image: Image: Letterhead reading CREEC: Civil Rights Education and
Enforcement Center.]

*Paralegal -- ASL Fluency Required -- Preference for D/HoH Candidates *

Online posting: *https://creeclaw.org/creec-is-hiring-an-asl-fluent-paralegal/
<https://creeclaw.org/creec-is-hiring-an-asl-fluent-paralegal/>*

The Civil Rights Education and Enforcement Center (CREEC)
<http://www.creeclaw.org/> is looking for an ASL-fluent paralegal to
perform standard paralegal tasks with emphasis on outreach to d/Deaf
communities. We frequently work with d/Deaf clients to address effective
communication issues. *We would like to hire a d/Deaf or hard of hearing
person for this position.*

CREEC is a nonprofit membership organization whose goal is ensuring that
everyone can fully and independently participate in our nation’s civic life
without discrimination based on race, gender, disability, religion,
national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We are committed
to this mission, and we promote it through education, outreach, and
investigating and filing impact and class action lawsuits nationwide on a
broad array of civil rights issues. We have three attorneys in Denver, one
attorney each in Berkeley, Nashville, and Los Angeles. More information is
available at www.creeclaw.org.

We are looking for a smart, motivated college graduate who is extremely
detail oriented, and who has strong writing, communication, and
organizational skills to be our paralegal. You do not need prior paralegal
experience. We will, of course, provide any required accommodations
necessary to do the job.

We request a commitment of at least two years.

We are based in Denver but open to remote work from other locations. We
are posting this as a full-time position but are open to part-time
arrangements.

What we are looking for:

*Superior organizational and writing skills*. CREEC has a heavy case load
of complex litigation and educational projects. We need someone who can
internalize the details of these projects and help us keep track of them,
calendar constantly shifting litigation deadlines, manage case documents
and files, and generally run all but the purely legal aspects of each case.
In addition, we ask our paralegal to draft basic pleadings and
correspondence, interview potential clients and witnesses, and assist with
investigations, so strong communication and writing skills are a must.

*Strong computer skills*. Our paralegal will do web-based research and use
Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and PowerPoint), as well
as specialized litigation software. We are looking for candidates with
experience using some of these programs, but will consider all otherwise
qualified candidates and will provide additional training as needed on the
job.

*Ability to work well with other people . . . and alone*. You need to be
comfortable and professional interacting with potential and current
clients, court personnel, cooperating and opposing counsel, and the wide
variety of people who call and visit our nonprofit. Because CREEC’s
attorneys travel often — at least we did before the pandemic — and because
we’re all working from home now, you also should be comfortable and
efficient working with little supervision.

*Willingness to do a bit of everything*. We are a small nonprofit, so you
have to be comfortable doing less glamorous things, like filing, data
entry, making travel arrangements, or running out to pick up lunch. At
least after the pandemic, you must be willing to travel.

We work very hard, but our office atmosphere is upbeat and casual. Before
everyone started working from home, we had a well-stocked kitchen and
several office dogs. Now we have regular Zoom meetings over lunch and wave
to the dogs on camera.

If you like responsibility and handle the tasks well, you will be able to
play a major role in our litigation and outreach and have a varied and
interesting practice.

Salary and benefits: The salary is $40,000. We also provide health
insurance, a retirement plan, and three weeks of paid leave.

Application process. Email a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and
college transcript to resumes at creeclaw.org. Please indicate “Paralegal
(YOUR LAST NAME)” in the subject line. All materials should be sent in pdf
format. If you are a person with a disability and need accommodations in
the application process, please let us know in your cover letter.

CREEC is an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce and
promotes an inclusive culture. CREEC encourages applications from all
qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national
origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.