[Athen] I need a training ....

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Tue Sep 22 10:11:52 PDT 2020

So I've been doing alt media for twenty years. But more and more of the information I have is possibly out of date. And now working from home, it's difficult to get updated training.

What I really need more kinformation on at this time are which tools can be used within Canvas or other LMS platforms for print-impaired folk. I know all about screen readers, being a user, but less when it comes to tools for simple speech web reading and magnification.

For just two examples, a student who uses Central Access Reader, and another who uses Natural Reader both asked me if their book was inside the publisher's courseware if their readers could read it. Another student who didn't know the name of their tool asked if they could read/magnify their tests in Canvas.

I have no idea! We do have an AT instructor and I just send everyone to her. But I hate being so ignorant!

The last time I had a good intro was at least ten years ago. We used to have a great training program in California that is no longer.

I need a good overview of what's out there, what's free, what's not and what will help the majority of my distance learning students!

Oh, and my college isn't spending any money on training either these days.

--Debee