[Athen] Publishers platforms and AT

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Wed Apr 21 11:13:51 PDT 2021

I ask this every quarter, but have their been any new developments in tracking which AT works with which publisher-supplied ebook platforms?

I am taking a class that uses a book that is available as an ebook on VitalSource. I really like that platform for myself, but so so many of my students complain about VitalSource, or Redshelf or the many other ebook platforms that are publisher-specific. Pearson, Cengage, Wiley, McGrawHill and McMillan all offer ebooks integrated with online labs or available on their own platform when the student makes a purchase.

When the publisher refuses to provide me a book, because it's already online and supposedly accessible, I can ask the student what AT they use, but it still leaves me unclear whether the problem is the AT, the platform or the student's inability or unwillingness to learn to use the platform.

I could really use some real data - I know there was a daisy webinar about it just this morning which I'll watch - but if I know for example that a particular Wiley book works fine with Kurzweil's read the web, then I can just encourage the student to get more training which we have available. But if I know it doesn't work, then I can start arguing with the publisher.

--Debee