[Athen] Publishers platforms and AT

kerscher at montana.com kerscher at montana.com
Wed Apr 21 12:19:05 PDT 2021

Hi,

We continue to update the grid on epubtest.org. VitalSource, RedShelf are
maintained, and we know they plan to make updates and when they do, we will
retest.

If you send me the platforms you want tested, we can consider testing those
platforms. The integrations with LMS is more difficult for us to test, and
we need more people helping to test out with the various AT. Thorium is
really working well (I use the continuous updated version) and we have the
results up for NVDA, and I expect Jaws would be similar. However, Thorium
will require an unprotected EPUB , probably from Bookshare or ATN.

EBSCO and Fulcrum are also in the grid now, and we have the developers
joining our reading system testing calls; it is great to see the developers
there, and RedShelf, VitalSource, EBSCO, Fulcrum, and Thorium developers are
frequent visitors.

The DAISY webinar today was very good as an introduction (Deborah, you
personally know everything about what we presented (grin), but others would
benefit), and we plan a follow-up webinar about the methodology and go
into detail on others. The Roundup is maintained and can be found at:

https://inclusivepublishing.org/rs-accessibility/

We are starting to maintain short videos that show the various Reading Apps
with specific AT so people can pick what works for them. I did a Thorium and
NVDA, for example. We have Thorium with visual adjustments (low vision), and
Read Aloud (Dyslexic and LD). We need to do a ton more.

We also have the EPUB in Higher Ed working group (let me know if anybody
wants to join), which is getting stronger and producing more materials to
support the DSO folks. We really need to get the students to use the
mainstream tech. Kurzweil says that support for EPUB is their current
highest priority, which is great, and we all cannot wait to see what they
have done. Text Help already has their updated EPUB reader out.

Best

George