[Athen] Alternate text question

foreigntype at gmail.com foreigntype at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 15:31:06 PST 2021

Scott,
I respectfully disagree. I'm going to throw out Jamie Axelrod's NAU info
page on what's necessary to fulfill copyright requirements:
https://in.nau.edu/disability-resources/alternate-format-program/#:~:text=Publishers%20currently%20have%20a%20requirement,proof%20of%20purchase%20on%20file
.

If textbooks are required for classes and the expectation is that all
students must have the books (or access to the books) for class, why should
students with disabilities be exempted from the requirement? This is
federal copyright law. Among the gods we serve in alt-text production and
accommodations, OCR is god#1 and copyright is god#2.

My 2.5 cents for a rainy bleak midwinter's day in the PNW.
Wink Harner
Accessibility Consultant/Alternative Text Production
The Foreign Type

Portland OR
foreigntype at gmail.com
480-984-0034

This email was dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Please forgive
quirks, misrecognitions, or errata .