[Athen] STEM and Accessible PDF files

Amy Robasse arobasse at cornellcollege.edu
Thu Jan 28 20:45:13 PST 2021

Hello!

I am in the process of working with departments on campus to train student
workers how to make PDF files accessible, and then building a campus
database that will hold them all. However, as it turns out, we've never had
to make any STEM PDF's accessible.

Can I please be given some guidance on how to go about this? I have tried
various searches on Google and really haven't found a simple answer that
gets me started. I also haven't seen anything that states exceptions to
accessible PDF files, so I am really confused as to how to make some of
these materials read with text-to-speech or a screen reader vs providing an
alternative format.

I think it's important to note that we are doing this to be compliant,
versus current student need. If there is some exception where alternative
formats can be provided for these PDF documents, that works. At the same
time I need to better educate myself so that should one of our vision
impaired or blind students take a STEM class I know exactly what I need to
do without scrambling.

Thank you all so much!

Warmly,
Amy

---

Amy Robasse, MA
Coordinator of Disability Services
Working Remotely - Schedule your virtual appointment
<https://arobasse.youcanbook.me>

-----> Want to connect with other students with disabilities? Email me
<arobasse at cornellcollege.edu> for our Zoom chat info!