[Athen] STEM and Accessible PDF files

chagnon at pubcom.com chagnon at pubcom.com
Thu Jan 28 21:06:17 PST 2021

STEM PDFs begin with making the basics accessible: tagged text and a logical tag reading order. Given that you’re in a college setting where students use all kinds of devices, you’ll also want to go beyond the requirements and also make the Architectural/Construction reading order logical too, as many of those devices use the Order panel instead of the Tags panel. And you’ll need good, descriptive Alt-text on conventional graphics.

After that, work on the STEM portions:

* Formulas/Maths
* Statistical charts/graphics
* Info graphics
* Technical drawings

There are many ways to make them accessible; what you choose depends upon the subject matter and content in the PDF.

FYI, try to avoid making alternative formats. You end up with duplicate versions of the content and inevitably one gets out of date. It’s really management nightmare. So aim to make PDFs work for all users.

— — —

Bevi Chagnon | Designer, Accessibility Technician | <mailto:Chagnon at PubCom.com> Chagnon at PubCom.com

— — —

PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing

consulting • training • development • design • sec. 508 services

Upcoming classes at <http://www.pubcom.com/classes> www.PubCom.com/classes

— — —

<https://mailchi.mp/e694edcdfadd/class-discount-3266574> Latest blog-newsletter – <https://www.pubcom.com/blog/2020_07-20/alt-text_part-1.shtml> Simple Guide to Writing Alt-Text