[Athen] Making accessible info with InDesign?

Hayman, Douglass dhayman at olympic.edu
Fri May 7 15:20:59 PDT 2021

John,

I see what you mean about their site, if you're talking about this page for example:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-accessible-pdfs.html

It has an image that shows a summary of what needs to be done in InDesign as a list and then an arrow going over to PDF icon. The image has no ALT tag.

I too have been exploring InDesign today for a couple of reasons.
1. To get some basic understanding of it just in case that is what our campus uses for the student newsletter which is currently made in Canva and exported as a horribly tagged PDF.
2. Level Access told me they used InDesign to create their well done brochure The State of Digital Accessibility then exported to PDF.

Since I'm mid-way through the same journey as you I don't have a lot of info to share, yet.

I did find the early part of this video useful on looking at some of the settings in InDesign that impact making an accessible PDF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiqw3rBWDWk

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College
dhayman at olympic.edu
(360) 475-7632 (currently working remotely and don't have access to this phone)