[Athen] Making accessible info with InDesign?

tristenbreitenfeldt at gmail.com tristenbreitenfeldt at gmail.com
Tue May 11 11:54:44 PDT 2021

I have been following this thread and I need to finally add my two cents.

As a blind accessibility professional myself, I have had very little success
with any of the Adobe products. Even their basic PDF reader is not great
for accessibility.

My suggestion to all accessibility professionals who are producing
accessible materials is that you change your approach slightly. Instead of
fighting with proprietary software packages which claim to support
accessibility, I suggest spending a few hours to learn Multi Markdown.
Multi Markdown is an extension of Markdown, which is a basic (but powerful)
scripting language for producing accessible electronic materials which can
be converted to almost any accessible format such as .doc, .docx, pdf, html,
rtf, daisy, and .brf formats using one markdown (.md) original file.
Markdown is kind of the swiss army knife of accessible file conversion. The
syntax for Multi Markdown is easy to learn and it can be combined with
MathML and LaTec for Math and Science content.

And, a really big bonus is that Multi Markdown is also fully accessible for
blind and visually impaired professionals to produce accessible alternate
formats- thus finally opening up this profession as a viable option for
people with visual disabilities.

So, in conclusion, I suggest scrapping anything made by Adobe and checking
out Multi Markdown for you're your alternative formats production and
conversion needs.

Sincerely,

Tristen Breitenfeldt

<http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>