[Athen] Noise-Canceling Headset Mic for Dragon

foreigntype at gmail.com foreigntype at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 17:37:14 PDT 2021

Shannon,

I use an Andrea Noise cancelling headset mic for use with DNS. It works
well and is available for purchase both through Nuance and online through
other vendors. If the environment is especially loud. the student might
consider dictating in a carousel type spot where there is a U shaped
screen/barrier around the desk, or they might be able to use one of the
clear whole-face masks to block extraneous sound from the mic.

Dragon is fairly forgiving if it's trained in a noisy
environment, especially if the student is using a uni-directional mic (AKA
a "noise cancelling" mic). It will learn to screen out some of the
background noise. I've had students run two profiles: one for a quiet
environment and one for a noisy one.

Feel free to contact me offline if you have more questions.

Wink Harner
Accessibility Consultant/Alternative Text Production
The Foreign Type

Portland OR
foreigntype at gmail.com
480-984-0034

This email was dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Please forgive
quirks, misrecognitions, or errata .