[Athen] Question about Scanning

Rebecca Sitton resitton at ncsu.edu
Fri Sep 17 05:55:02 PDT 2021

Hi Robert,
I have more success scanning a text when the DPI is a minimum of 400 DPI
preferably closer to 600 DPI. For many years, scanning in straight black
and white gave me optimum results but have realized that actually color and
a higher resolution actually produce a more solid image for OCR to
recognize (using Adobe Acrobat DC). It may be obvious but the best scans
come from cutting the binding off the book. If you don't have access to a
cutter, you may find business supply or print shops have one and will cut
it for free or at a minimal charge, such as Kinkos. Luckily, I haven't had
to scan many books in recent years as our Instructors are choosing more
recent editions of textbooks and the older texts seem to be available
through Bookshare or Learning Ally.
Best,

*Rebecca E. Sitton*
IT Accessibility Coordinator
NC State University
Office of Information Technology
Outreach, Communications & Consulting
P: (919) 513-4087
Email: resitton at ncsu.edu <resitton at ncsu.edu>
Pronouns: she, her, hers
NC State Accessibility <https://accessibility.ncsu.edu/>

"All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which are
sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public Records
Law and may be disclosed to third parties.”