[Athen] Gambier OH: Kenyon College hiring Director of Student
Accessibility and Support Services
Lydia X. Z. Brown
lydia at autistichoya.com
Wed Sep 22 08:27:46 PDT 2021
Just the messenger:
If this is of any interest to folks here, Kenyon is hiring a new Director
of Student Accessibility and Support Services. Please circulate among your
networks and I'm happy to answer questions as best as I can:
Director of Student Accessibility and Support Services
Work type: Exempt Staff
Location: Gambier, OH
Kenyon College is conducting a search to fill the position of Director of
Student Accessibility and Support Services. The Director of Student
Accessibility and Support Services is a member of the Academic Division of
the college and reports directly to the Dean for Academic Advising.
In collaboration with the Academic Division and Student Affairs, the
Director of Student Accessibility and Support Services works to facilitate
program accessibility within all aspects of the student experience;
including classroom, residential and extracurricular life. Primarily, the
Director supports the mission of the College by planning, designing, and
administering appropriate advising and support programs, policies and
services for students with disabilities. The Director reviews
documentation, engages in interactive discussions and oversees the
assignment of academic, housing and dining accommodations for students, as
well as providing support for faculty and staff with disabilities. The
Director advises students with disabilities or connects them to appropriate
advisors, overseeing a staff of two professional positions in the Student
Accessibility and Support Services office. The Director works with offices
across campus to ensure equity and access for all students and compliance
with relevant laws. Working with the Center for Innovative Pedagogy, the
Director provides training and resources to faculty to ensure the
accessibility of classroom technology and digital media. The Director works
with the Operations division to identify and remove barriers to access in
college facilities and consults on new construction and renovation.
The responsibilities of this position fall into three general areas:
A. Advising and Support Programs, Policies and Services for Students with
C. Facility and Program Accessibility
The specific responsibilities within each of these areas include the
A. Advising and Support Programs, Policies and Services for Students
- Provide information and services to assist students with disabilities
as they make the transition from high school to college; disperse
information regarding services to incoming students and coordinate general
education programming in this area.
- Review and interpret documentation with the student to determine
appropriate classroom and program accommodations on a case by case basis.
Provide guidance to students in securing reasonable accommodations and
- Facilitate accommodation in collaboration with faculty members in
their roles as faculty advisors and course instructors, and notifying
faculty members about the College’s responsibilities in this area.
- Serve as the liaison with campus offices in facilitating services to
students with disabilities in partnering with staff across campus including
the following: Admissions, Campus Safety, Career Development, Dean of
Students, Health and Counseling, Housing and Residential Life, The Office
of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, the Provost and Associate Provosts
office, the Registrar and Facility Operations.
- Serve as liaison with appropriate state and community agencies.
- Serve as the on-campus resource on accessibility, disability
information, related issues, concerns and training.
- As necessary, serve as advisor and support person for students with
disabilities. Initiate personal conferences with and provide special
support for students with disabilities or connect students with
disabilities to other resources.
- Work with the Center for Innovative Pedagogy, ACCESS Kenyon and the
Faculty Committee on Academic Standards to promote equity and equal access
for students regardless of age, race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexual
orientation, cognitive and physical differences.
- Facilitate support group(s) for students with disabilities.
- Assist the Dean for Academic Advising in the provision of academic
support services for all students. Present or coordinate workshops on
issues such as time management, note taking, and other study skills.
- Revise and update or assist the relevant committee in revising and
updating policies and procedures related to accessibility, services and
supports for students with disabilities on campus.
- Serve on related Academic committees (Committee for Academic
- Work with the VP for Student Affairs and student affairs staff in
conducting in-service training programs for coaches, professional staff and
student staff members.
- Provide sound financial management for the Student Accessibility and
Support Services office, including authorization of all departmental
expenditures, evaluation and presentation of department needs which have
budgetary implications, and preparation of department budget proposals as
requests by the Provosts’ office.
- Assist in the preparation and editing of SASS publications.
- Maintain website presence for SASS.
- Coordinate Baldridge Reading and Study Skills Program.
- Provide the Provosts’ office with a year-end report and other reports
- Assist the Dean for Academic Advising with special projects and
responsibilities within the Academic Division of the College.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Provost and Dean for Academic
C. Facility Access
- Serve as advocate for principles of universal access on campus master
planning process. Proactively identify barriers to access to promote
inclusion and minimize the need for individual accommodations.
- Consult on building and renovation projects to ensure access and ADA
- Coordinate campus wide program and facility access reviews as needed.
- Work with Building and Grounds staff to coordinate readily achievable
barrier removal projects such as installation or automatic door closures
- Master’s degree in a relevant field, plus demonstrated success working
with individuals with disabilities in an educational setting.
- Knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of
the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- Experience providing academic accommodations through an interactive
- Experience working with people with a range of diagnoses and
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate with staff,
faculty and students.
- Prior experience with software management, particularly Accommodate.
- Strong cultural competency and a commitment to diversity, equity and
Kenyon College is a nationally prominent, private liberal arts college
where academic excellence goes hand in hand with a strong sense of
community and close relationships among students and professors.
Compensation and Benefits
Salaries at Kenyon are competitive and commensurate with experience. In
addition to an attractive salary, Kenyon offers benefits for employees and
their family members. Children of employees are eligible for 100% tuition
waivers at Kenyon, and through the Great Lakes Colleges Association
<http://www.glca.org/>, children of employees are eligible for 85% tuition
waivers at fifteen other of the nation's finest liberal arts colleges.
We also offer health and dental insurance, TIAA retirement, and many other
including provisions for a spouse, families, and domestic partners. Details
about benefits as well as conditions of employment are described more fully
in our Staff Handbook
Kenyon is a unique place to live and work. To discover why it should be
your next home, click here
*Kenyon College is an equal opportunity employer and applications from
members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. It is the College's
policy to evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color,
national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, sexual orientation, physical and/or mental disability, age,
religion, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, or any other
characteristic protected by institutional policy or state, local, or
federal law. Kenyon College has a strong commitment to supporting
diversity, equity and inclusion. Please visit our Diversity at Kenyon
Advertised: 20 Sep 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the athen-list