[Athen] Weird PDF printing problem

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Mon Feb 14 12:54:52 PST 2022

I have a work computer and a computer at home which also belongs to my employer, a college of course.

Both theoretically were set up with the same "image" the same version of Acrobat, Microsoft office etc.

And both run Windows 10 enterprise and I keep them both updated.

But when I print (actually save) a web page as a PDF, the home computer creates an inaccessible image-only PDF.

The office computer creates an accessible PDF. It's not perfect, but all the text is readable with a screen reader or other tool that can voice PDFS.

I would appreciate if someone could explain what's going on. How many different ways can a person "print to PDF" and which methods should one avoid if sending a web page "printout" to someone who must read it with a screen reader?

I myself am a screen reader user, but luckily I've only had to share these printouts with people who look at the PDF visually. But I still need to know what's going on.

--Debee